Jitze Couperus here - pleased to meet you.
(Or in Dutch - Aangenaam kennis te maken. Except I can't be
sure of the spelling because they keep changing it.)
The picture to the right is me - in case you haven't met me in person.
Announcing - Yes! I did it!
After years of prodding and cajoling by friends, colleagues, acquaintances and sundry, I have finaly completed a book which collects together
some of my more successful aerial photographs. You can read all about it here.
Welcome to the following pages...
From here you can go to a number of different topics:
Over time I have collected together a number of photo albums which you are welcome to browse. They come in different categories as follows:
- Aerial Photography
- Nature Photography
- Photos taken on various trips
- Miscellaneous Assignments (Some of the more interesting I things have been asked to document)
- The (large) collection of pictures saved on my Flickr account, stored elsewhere on the web
- Boring Family-Related Stuff
Computers I have known - Some info and pictures of computers (of the mainframe type) that have played a part in my life
School Days In Kenya
- The Hunt For The Rolls Silver Ghost Soon after the Internet (and Email) became generally available to the public, I embarked
on a quest to find out whatever became of a 1914 Rolls Royce that served as our school bus in the Kenya of the 1950's. That search is documented here.
- A Chapel is built In the middle of the Great Rift Valley, a bunch of pupils at a primary boarding school (8 to 12 year-olds) set out to build a chapel
Other Kenya Links
For those of you who ended up on this page by mistake, but were actually looking for stuff about Pembroke House
in Gilgil (Kenya) or about the Prince of Wales School in Nairobi (actually Kabete - also in Kenya) then let me direct you
to their sites at
Prince of Wales respectively.
Articles in Other People's Blogs to do with my time in East Africa
- Louis Couperus. If you came here looking for information about the Dutch author, Louis Couperus, you're in the wrong place. (Unless you're specifically interested in his Family Tree, in which case you are in the right place).
If you seek information in English about Louis Couperus, you can best go to Wikipedia here or if you are conversant in Dutch, you may wish to go to http://www.louiscouperus.nl
- Louis Couperus. Indien U informatie zoekt betreffend de schrijver Louis Couperus, dan zit U hier verkeerd. (Behalve als U gegevens zoekt omtrent zijn stamboom - in dat geval zit U hier goed),
Mag ik U door verwijzen naar http://www.louiscouperus.nl
Genealogy - There are a number of Couperus-related genealogy web-sites available on the net. Each of these may require you to identify yourself or register
with the site in order to access certain levels of information, but none of the three requires any kind of payment.
Er zijn een aantal websites betreffende de Couperus Genealogie. Sommige sites kunnen om gebruiker-identificatie of -registratie
vragen voor toegang tot bepaalde gegevens, maar in elk geval is het kosteloos.
And to answer your next question - no - I'm not Dutch. I was born and raised
as an Englishman "in the colonies" and lived in Uganda and Kenya (and a few years studying in Britain)
until my mid-twenties. Then I did actually live in Holland for a few years, working in The Hague
and trying to figure out the language. So I sort of speak it, but I don't think I'll ever
figure out when to use "het" or "de" in front of a noun.
Eventually I migrated to California and lived there happily ever after.
Having got that out of the way, let me invite you to browse the pages
referenced above, and I hope we may meet in person some time.